Do you know how to use an ozone generator at home? Did you ever think that the air you are taking can contain microorganisms? These unseen parasites can cause havoc. This is why portable ozone generators are getting so popular lately. An ozone generator is such an air purifier. It filters and treats the ultraviolet rays by producing ozone gas.
People use it to remove unpleasant smells and improve air quality by killing bacteria, germs, molds. Some people think that using an ozone generator at home is not safe. But when you are aware of the dangers, you can use this generator safely. To know the use and safety issues of the ozone generator, read it carefully.
What are Ozone Generators?
Ozone is a molecule, and it consists of three atoms of oxygen. Where two atoms of oxygen commonly form oxygen molecules, which is essential for us all. But here the third oxygen atom can detach itself from the molecule as a negatively charged ion. Then it attracts other molecules by changing their formation.
An ozone generator is best because of the security alarms, suitable size, timers, emergency sensors, and modern features. The advanced high-quality air filter can fresh the air by filtering the dust and odor.
You will find those criteria in These portable ozone generators are lightweight and small. Powder-coated aluminum is used in its housing. You can use it in a much-polluted house. It has different time modes, and you can activate the desired times.
How to Use Ozone Generators at Home?
Before using an ozone generator, read the instructional manual properly. There are many kinds of ozone generators that are different in many ways.
Covering area, timers for power on and off and so on features are other. So setting it up by following the manual will be safe. Or you may face problems while handling it manually. Follow the instructions on how to use an ozone generator at home.
Empty the room from all living things and plants:
While running the ozone generator, no people, pets, or plants should be in that room because some specific ozone gas concentration creates a severe respiratory problem. So the space will be empty. Never be in the same room while ozone gas is working. It’s harmful if any residing being takes this ozone gas while breathing.
Set the timer:
If your ozone generator has a timer, then set it for the particular time it needs to run. If you don’t have a timer, then you have to use an external timer to turn it off in time. You should cover your face to enter the room and off the generator. Running it for more than 6 hours is harmful.
Wait for 20-30 hours for your house or 4-6 hours for a single room:
If you want to purify your whole house, then it would be better if you stay away. You can do one in one room. The time of purification depends on the area of the room or place.
Wait for 1-2 hours to transform the ozone into normal oxygen:
After one or two hours, ozone transforms into normal and breathable oxygen. The third oxygen atom breaks off, and thus it becomes safe again.
Cover valuable things or remove them:
Some metallic things and papers have a problem with this gas. So it’s safe to remove them while the generator is running. You have to find an alternative way to remove odors from them.
Make sure the regular maintenance:
It would help if you cleaned its collector plate every 2-6 months. Don’t run the generator with high humidity. Moisture can harm the machine by arcing.
It may cause death
If you want to treat the whole house, you may leave it and stay anywhere else because ozone may damage the lungs.
So you must follow the instructions to use the generator safely and securely.
Safety Tips When Use Ozone Generators in Home
We all may know about the dangers caused by ozone generators. But of course, there are some safety precautions we all should know. Then we can make sure to use it with safety and security.Some problems while using the Ozone generators at home are-
- Respiratory infections are more susceptible to throat and lung discomfort, cough, asthma, breathability, bruising, nose, and eye irritations.
- Pets are also at risk. Inhaling of ozone can cause respiratory infections and lower their immunity.
- Besides the low amount of ozone causes chest pain, shortness of breath. It may cause chronic respiratory disease if you take a large amount of ozone.
- The total concentration of organic substances sometimes increases after running the generator. Beside aldehyde, ozone can produce formic acid too, which may irritate the lungs.
- It can also affect plants: irregular plant spots, darkly pigmented patches or even overall plant death.
- Ozone concentration can also involve building materials such as synthetic mounted panels, spray covers, furniture covers, plastics, rubbers, textiles, electric cable, artwork etc.
We mention above the problem that an ozone generator can cause. Now, let’s jump to the safety precautions of the ozone generator.
- OSHA and EPA specified some safety levels for ozone generators to use in a low concentration. But this can be used for everyday air refreshment, sanitizing the air for breathing, removing smoke from cooking or cigarette.
- People or pets can stay thereby while running the generator in these cases. But make sure of adequate ventilation.
- In case of high ozone concentration while killing moulds this can’t be done. However, experts warned not to stay with anyone or anything while the machine was working.
- After ozone treatment, open the windows of your house or room. Make sure that there’s no flammable gas or explosive material near the ozone generator. The recommendation is to change the ceramic plate within every six months for safety purposes. Try to use a proper size generator for your room area.
- When you need to purify a room, switch on the generator, leave the room, close the door and keep a folded towel under the door. It will help seal the gap between the door and the floor.
- You can use your furnace fan and a ceiling fan to carry the ozone gas in every corner of your house. Ceiling fans can have the gas into the upper walls and ceilings. It also helps with humidity and hot weather.
- It would be better to use an air filter because it kills bacteria but can’t remove particular air things.
So before treating your house, make sure to read the instruction manual properly. Thus ensure the safety and security of your home along with pets and plants.
Ozone is sometimes dangerous, but if you know how to use an ozone generator at home, there is no problem. It can be one of the best air purifiers for your home. It removes odors, killing the bacteria. Even it kills unnecessary insects. It purifies the air and removes smoke and other foul smells.
But don’t forget that ozone is dangerous for any living being. It can be people, pets, or plants. It’s essential to maintain concentration so that it can’t exceed health standards. Otherwise, it will remove all the contaminants. By reacting with other chemicals indoors, it can produce harmful products. So proper precautions should be taken while running the generator.
Leave a Reply